Defenders Gathered

In the aftermath of the Onslaught crisis, the Fantastic Four & Avengers are gone - sacrificing themselves to destroy Onslaught. Only the X-Men remain as a superteam but with mutant hysteria at an all time high & mutant numbers thinned considerably by the Legacy Virus, they have gone underground.

Will new heroes step forth in a world that has little heroes left?

Moderators: NMI, Cubalibre

Cubalibre

Defenders Gathered

Postby Cubalibre » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:22 am

It has been several weeks since Agent Coulson appeared from out of nowhere into your lives saying that you were "selected" to be Earths new heroes since the demise of the other groups during the Onslaught crisis. You almost thought that you have been forgotten since nothing new after the official meeting.

However all that changed one day when you all received an email from an unkown origin. All it read was "it is time" with an address somewhere in New York City and that all arrangements have been made for the journey. Attachments came with it having plane tickets (for those not native to new York) or a private vehicle meeting them at their residence (for those who live in the city).

After the arriving in the city, you note the destruction in certain areas caused by Onslaught. You also see a protest outside the federal building by anti-mutant protesters demanding the government do something about the "Mutant Menace".

You all arrive at a above average hotel and are told to go to a banquet hall. The banquet hall is set up with a small luncheon buffet with refreshments. Some of you know of but most of you are seeing each other for the first time - you guess this is a meet-and-greet SHIELD has arranged for you all.

Vigil

Re: Defenders Gathered

Postby Vigil » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:03 am

When Ross Ripley gets the email with the e-ticket for New York, he sits back in thought. It's real. These weeks since that visit with Coulson, and no word, had me wondering. But I suppose it's time. He hits print on the email and the attachment, and begins packing his few personal effects. It's time to do what I came for - to follow in the Kree Captain's footsteps and show my people a better way.

The flight to New York is fairly uneventful - he takes the flight in his human disguise, of course, and his FBI contact Gloria Waylons had ensured that his paperwork was all in order. He's a bit taken aback by the anti-mutant protests in the city, but he doesn't dwell on it. Every race in the galaxy has its prejudices, and as a Skrull, who was he to judge?

When he arrives at the hotel, he takes a moment to drop his bag off in his room before heading to the banquet hall. This is not what I expected... do they not have some kind of secured location? I can't just show that I'm a Skrull in a hotel banquet room... can I?

If he sees anyone there, he puts on his 'laconic Florida Keys bush pilot' demeanor, and goes over to greet them. In his human guise, he is about 6' tall with thick black hair. He wears khaki cargo pants, brown cowboy boots, with a white button down shirt and a bomber's jacket. He extends a hand and a casual smile to anyone there.

"Well hey there. Ross Ripley. I guess they suckered you into this gig too?"

Keep up the act - at least until we hit a secure location. Then you can reveal yourself...

Sasqaricious

Postby Sasqaricious » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:50 am

Dawn actually living in New York as she is attending Columbia. As such when that email arrives she heads to the place right away letting out a bit of a sigh. She had hoped this day would not of come and despite all her hoping obviously the truth has come to pass.

Not sure of what she needs she does go to her room, pack a small bag with basically an assortment of clothes just in case this SHIELD did not really provide, changes into a workout uniform and then heads out ignoring the private vehicle and starts to jog the whole way to the location however when she gets in range of the protesters she stops and if the vehicle is still following gets in to go the rest of the way. It is not that she is a mutant but she does not want to even risk rocking the boat. Once in the vehicle she will let it take her the rest of the way.

When arriving at the hotel she learns of the banquet hall but pops into the bathroom first to change into something more appropriate then the clothes she ran here in. And once inside sees that she is actually not the first to arrive she turns to the man, herself looking like something that came out of Iowa more then New York. "Good day. Dawn...Dawn Starbright" She says as she holds out her hand to shake it.

"I guess requested to join works. And yes I was."

Vigil

Postby Vigil » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:10 pm

The alien masquerading as Ross Ripley shakes the newcomers hand. "'Dawn Starbright'. That sounds fairly celestial." He smiles. "Big fan of the sky, myself. I'm a pilot. What do you do?" So far, so good. Only one outright lie. Keep the lies to a minimum.

Genhuman

Postby Genhuman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:24 pm

We will be in touch. Eric had assumed they would have been in touch a bit sooner than the weeks that had slid by in the interim. Of course, in the business world, we will be in touch is a common enough phrase that the time between contact didn’t really concern him. He was use to projects and events taking months to years to pan out, at least according to projections, but for some reason, he had figured the agency would have been a bit quicker.

SHIELD is lucky that he kept them at least in the back of his mind though. When he first saw the email in his work Inbox, he just about deleted it out of habit. It very much resembled something that had managed to slip through all of the spam filters to sit nestled in his inbox, waiting to trap the unwary into some scheme to help a lost Wakandan Prince claim his multi-million dollar inheritance, or to deliver a virus and spread it to everyone on your contacts list. Upon opening it, and reading that it was now actually time to report, he wished, for a couple of minutes, that he had just deleted and ignored it, his desire to stay out of the hero life still very much a part of him, even though he had agreed.

The night before, he pulled out his largest briefcase, the one that he has used before on business meetings where he might end up having to hang over or stay in a hotel. It is large enough to hold his laptop, a couple of clothing items, basic toiletries, and his paperwork for whatever business deal he is seeing to, while still being slim enough to maintain a professional look. This time, he doesn’t bother with paperwork.

He began to put on his 2nd best business suit, there not being much difference between it and his best, other than the fact this suit was 2 weeks older. Like a knight donning armor, he felt more confident as each piece of attire made its way to its appropriate place. He grabbed up his briefcase and made his way down to the lobby, just in time to see a limo pull up outside the front door.

He had to give them props on their timing, as the driver made it around the car and to the back door to open it for him, the door reach its widest point when his foot trod down exactly ten feet away from the car. The driver in the government issued suit turns his head and says, “A pleasure to serve, Mr. Magnison; if you please?” and gestures to the open door.

As Eric settles into the back of the limo, he looks around at the interior. “Our company limos are nicer,” he says quietly aloud with a chuckle, not admitting to himself that he is using humor to calm his nerves.
He stares at the passing city, so familiar to him, yet still so exciting and new at the same time.

The protesters give him cause to sigh. “I guess fear makes you do all sorts of crazy things,” he says to no one in particular, “and racist fear seems to be one of the longest running. Perhaps it is tied in with species survival instinct.” He shakes his head, “either way, it is foolish to let a negative emotion like that dictate your actions, your life.” In a quiet voice he finishes, “Why do you think I said yes, if only to prove that fear is not in control of me.”

After going through the familiar bureaucratic steps of hotel management, and a brief pause to ‘freshen’ himself, he arrives at the banquet hall. He glances briefly at the people in attendance. He pretty sure he hasn’t seen the person in the leather jacket before. The red head in the student-esque attire gives him a small niggling in the back of his brain. He equates her appearance with a recent stop to one of the libraries he frequents, but other than that, he can’t be sure. Now Conrad Thomanson on the other hand (when he arrives) he knows rather well, as their companies have some dealings with each other. He supposes that the reverse isn’t true, however and Mr. Thomanson won’t recognize or remember him.

He makes his rounds of the room, a businessman’s smile on his face to help armor his feeling further, introducing himself to everyone in attendance. “Eric Magnison. Nice to meet you.” He offers his hand to each one, and while he can’t know for sure what is up with everyone, he does feel a shadow of something when he shakes both Dawn’s and Ross’ hands, but not Conrad’s. Once more he wishes he were as accomplished as either of his mentors, as he is sure they would have been able to read auras down to the smallest detail, and without physical contact even.

“Something tells me that, like myself, you are all not exactly as you seem, and bring something special to the table.” He chuckles slightly, “After all, I am sure they didn’t recruit me for my business acumen.
I mother was a test tube; my father was a knife.

More human than human.

Sasqaricious

Postby Sasqaricious » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:33 pm

Dawn was about to respond before the new person arrived to which she returns the handshake, "Dawn. A pleasure to meet you." She says with a smile. At which point she starts to wonder if anyone else her closer to her own age will be joining. She then returns to answer the question asked, "I guess if we are to be working together then what we can do is imparitive to be known. I am still in process of fuly becoming aware of what I am able to do but to be easy , my mother was an eternal and I guess I would technically be an half-eternal. Most of my powers have to do with light manipulation including my ability to turn all my cells into literal photonic based cells which grants me greater power over what I can do with light already. I can also fly, regenerate, lift more then an average person." She says offering some but not wanting to give all until she is sure.

(OOC - Actually on a note seeing Eric is a business man, he may have handled Dawn's trustfund.)

Genhuman

Postby Genhuman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:07 pm

When he hears her name, Eric’s smile widens a bit. ”Dawn…that wouldn’t happen to be Dawn Starbright, would it?” He chuckles slightly and says, “Sorry, I thought I might have recognized you, but I didn’t know from where. When you mentioned your name, it hit me.” After a pause he says, ”Oh, sorry, guess I better explain further. I was one of the people who were assigned work on your trust fund, and the interaction between that and the university. You are going to Columbia if I am not mistaken. I believe that was the information on the forms.”

He then listens to her explain about her powers and parentage. He raises an eyebrow at some of her words. He didn’t recognize the name of what she said she was, and Eternal. Of course, he didn’t let on that he didn’t recognize it. It really wasn’t a surprise that he didn’t. It’s not as if the name was in common usage for most of the world, and the fact that Eric didn’t want to get drawn into the hero gig in the first place, there was no reason for him to seek them out.

When her description of what she can do comes to a close, he nods along with her. ”Yes, I can see the wisdom in that. Personally, I was thinking we would wait until we got to the training facility and were able to actually show some of it, rather than explain, but to each there own.” Eric looks over at the small buffet table and holds out a hand. An already prepared plate containing some fruits, cheeses and a finger sandwich floats to his awaiting hand. ”It will be interesting to see what comes about.” He raises a sandwich and takes a bite out of it.

[OCC: I am more than fine with that, and gives us yet another way to tie our characters together in some small way, rather than being complete strangers. Now we just need to find a way to get Vigil in on the act.]

More human than human.

Sasqaricious

Postby Sasqaricious » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:27 pm

"Yes it would be Dawn Starbright." She says as her face lights up. "Did you actually meet my mother then?" She adds not knowing that her true mother gave the money to her father 18 years ago.to make it possible for her future. But for that moment she does not care about the power discussion having a hope that someone had seen the Eternal Aurelle and it even shows as her skin itself starts to glow.

(OOC - Added a bit of history the Iowa thing came off top of my head and her mother donating money seems to make sense for that level of resources.)

Genhuman

Postby Genhuman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:48 pm

Eric shakes his head slowly. ”I am sorry to disappoint you, but no, I did not meet any principle founders of the account. In fact, of all the names listed on it, you are the only one whom I have met, that isn’t part of the holding company.” He pauses, thinking for a bit then adds, ”but you know, that really isn’t surprising in an account that is as old as yours. Most people set them up, and then just let them do the work all by themselves, only concerned with them when they want to actually use the money.”

“Now that I think about it, there may have been copies of photo IDs and such appended to it. Of course, I would need the time and a reason to dig said file out to check again to be sure, but I think there might have been.” He lets go of her hand finally, realizing they have been shaking the whole time. ”That’s the best I can do, sorry.” he gives a shrug.

[Edited to fix formatting error]
Last edited by Genhuman on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

More human than human.

Vigil

Postby Vigil » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:46 am

Ross watches the two newcomers converse. Odd that they know each other - and were both deemed suitable for membership by Agent Coulson. Well... It's a small galaxy.

He extends a hand to Eric Magnison. "Name's Ross. Good to meet ya." As discussion turns briefly to superhuman abilities, he grows a little alarmed, but manages to mask his feelings behind his human guise. He is relieved when Eric demurs discussion of powers until they reach a training facility.

"I agree. This location ain't what I'd call secure. So... Eric - I take it you're some kinda financial planner? And I'm a bush pilot, former military. And you, Dawn, you're a college student, huh? That's what my old squad leader would've called 'a real variegated array of skills'." He chuckles. Of course, his war leader would've meant it as an insult, and would've followed by calling them all useless dogs, but there was no need to expose his new teammates to Skrull military tradition... yet. Or ever, really.

Return to “Marvel - Onslaught Aftermath”