Why do so many GMs

For Discussion of Palladium Books based games -- All settings are acceptable and valid!

Moderator: NMI

Sittingbull

Why do so many GMs

Postby Sittingbull » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:22 pm

ban multiple selves? Is it just because most players can't keep up with them or is it because the GM thinks (or does depending on the situation) slow the game down?
"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
The Dark Knight

Sasqaricious

Re: Why do so many GMs

Postby Sasqaricious » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:52 pm

I actually have this banned for many reasons.

It is not that it slows the game down but in tabletop if a person has multiple selves they can now go investigate one thing while doing another. Now that means they get twice the attention (or more depending on number of multiples) of a player without this power. The only way I can resolve this is put restrictions on this power which I think is unfair. But detracting from the other players is unfair as well. So unless I put a time clock on saying you can do all your multiple actions in this amount of time and get the same amount of attention as the rest of the players which usually turns that player off.

In play by post it does make more work for gm's having to do instead of one interaction with a player multiple interactions with players. Not a huge deal but now you are giving more attention to that one player in essence. In the end I just do this to keep things fair for all. Some have said it is unfair that I do not allow this power but in the end it is my game and players have as much right to not join.

Is this my only reason, no, but will be my chief reason.

Vigil

Postby Vigil » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:49 am

I've never banned it in any of my tabletop games, but I put a restriction on it that it must be the character's only major power. The temptation is too great to have a player run a PC who can just overpower all the bad guys by himself, which ruins game balance and reduces the fun for other players.

Another time, I let a player have it, but with a special Achilles' Heel, that a percentage of his multiples actually embody his darkest urges (i.e., I determined at character creation a percentage, and rolled a secret d% each time a multiple was created. If I rolled under the predetermined number, the multiple was evil, controlled by the GM (me), uncontrollable by the PC, and would not willingly reabsorb back into the PC).

But mostly, it allows a player to "punch above his weight" (i.e., fight villains or groups of villains he should not reasonably be able to handle on his own), with or without the other players. Other players can feel shortchanged by this. Conversely, the GM now has to design engaging adventures with legions of low-level goons to occupy the Multiple Selves PC, which becomes unrealistic after a while.

That said, it's a perfectly reasonable power for a PC to have in a solo game, and without modification.

Sittingbull

Postby Sittingbull » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:32 pm

#1 solo games are not easy to get.

#2 not every player who has this power is going to split up, to the four winds, and do solo stuff.

#3 nor will every player take additional major powers to abuse with the multiple selves.

Its a power I would like to eventually play but every GM seems convinced that EVERY player will do, the exact same thing the players that abused it in the past, did.
"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
The Dark Knight

Vigil

Postby Vigil » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:52 am

Sittingbull wrote:#1 solo games are not easy to get.

Yeah - I did a few solo tabletop campaigns, but that was due to player scarcity.

#2 not every player who has this power is going to split up, to the four winds, and do solo stuff.

#3 nor will every player take additional major powers to abuse with the multiple selves.

Both are true - my caveats were designed for the players I had.

Its a power I would like to eventually play but every GM seems convinced that EVERY player will do, the exact same thing the players that abused it in the past, did.

If I were running a PBP, I'm not sure I would disallow it. I've just had some powergamers in the past who I know would've needed reining in.

Sittingbull

Postby Sittingbull » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:31 pm

I could understand if it was multiple selves, supernatural strength, and invulnerability as a power combo.
The Dark Knight

Eliakon

Postby Eliakon » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Sittingbull wrote:#1 solo games are not easy to get.

The reason for my decision is that the number of times that this power has not been abused vs. number of times it has been abused makes me worried.
I mean yes, not EVERY player will do a #2 or #3....but when you have seen this power taken dozens of times....and only seen two or three people not pull that you can probably understand why when yet another person comes forward and says that, "no really, this time it will be different." I tend to be cynically skeptical.
The temptation to abuse this power is very strong, and even when you start with the best of intentions its easy to fall into 'well okay yeah...just this once'....
...but breaking the game 'just once' is still breaking the game.
And yes, I know. I have done it myself. There is a reason that I do not allow myself this power when I play. I have played it before and I have ended up falling into the temptations that it offers.

Sittingbull

Postby Sittingbull » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:33 am

Hi eli!
The Dark Knight

NMI

Postby NMI » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:41 pm

Multiple Selves
Mirror Mastery
Energy Doppleganger

at 15th level!!

Return to “Palladium Game Discussion”