Torchbearer

GM's and Players, use this area for discussion of campaigns you are interested in running as well as for recruiting players.

Moderator: NMI

Dijarian

Torchbearer

Postby Dijarian » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:12 pm

Hey everyone. Just writing to test the waters to see if anyone would be interested in learning a fantastic indie game called, Torchbearer.

Adventurer is a dirty word. You're a wastrel, a vagabond. You only adventure because its the only way you can scrape up a living. All the 'normal people' have their professions; laborers, cobblers, carpenters. There's no need for you. If you were born into nobility, you're the 15th in line to the estate. All of your brother's and sisters have taken your inheritance, or what would be your inheritance. The guild houses are full, plus you aren't good enough at a trade to be excepted as a member anyway.The clergy? Yes of course they'll take you in, but only long enough to strap you with vestments, put a holy book in your hand and send you off to convert the heathens. Thus, you adventure. You delve deep into catacombs seeking treasures and secrets beyond comprehension. You're not a hero, you're an adventurer.

It was written as a love letter to old school Moldvay style DnD. Its a dungeon crawl game through and through, but focusses more on the extreme pressures a group of misfits face while delving into deep catacombs. It takes the oppression of the dark weighing down no the adventurers, and makes a game of it. Its lots of fun.

Character creation is super easy and we could handle them on the forum, and so are the rules. Its a standard d6 die pool game. Roll as many dice as your skill or ability and you're looking to get so many 'successes' to meet or exceed an obstacle. 4+ is a success, 3- is a traitor.

Any interest?

Genhuman

Re: Torchbearer

Postby Genhuman » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:47 pm

Well, might be interested in learning something. I am not a stranger to dice pools, having played quite a bit of shadowrun and other dice pool type games in my younger years.
I mother was a test tube; my father was a knife.

More human than human.

Dijarian

Re: Torchbearer

Postby Dijarian » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:55 pm

It's a simple system looking at it from the outside, but the game has several moving parts. Can we get three more takers?

Return to “Game Discussion & Recruitment”