A new playground

GM's and Players, use this area for discussion of campaigns you are interested in running as well as for recruiting players.

Moderator: NMI

Genhuman

A new playground

Postby Genhuman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:17 pm

2022 – Year of “THE OVERTHROW”

The world was already a miserable place in the spring of that cursed year. The New Depression was at its height. Stocks fell, jobs were lost, and consumer consumption fell in a corporate death spiral as the aging techno-czars were revealed to have feet of clay. Financial institutions underreacted, the government overreacted, and a society living on borrowed time paid for with borrowed dollars failed. Hard times and hunger came to the Western world, which was all the more of a shock because the generation that survived the last financial collapse had virtually died out.

Ancient hatreds smouldered and burst into flame. Europe saw its first real war in generations over food tariffs; China used America's preoccupation with its economy to overrun Taiwan. Russia and Japan, both backing different factions in Europe and the Pacific Rim, started a naval war that the United States, in its last great overseas commitment, stopped by cordoning off the two powers.

Civil unrest over the use of American wealth and resources abroad with so many suffering at home erupted into violence. Paramilitary groups took a hodgepodge of economic, political, and even racial grievances to the ultimate court of violence. A few polarizing and charismatic leaders further unravelled the tattered American social fabric.

The Earth itself added its cataclysmic voice to the dissonant chorus of human suffering. A worldwide string of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions levelled cities and made ash-covered wastelands of regions near the volcanoes. Particles in the atmosphere changed the climate more to the Enemies’ liking. As if the tectonic damage was not enough, a plague added to the chaos. People called it neo-rabies, but its twenty-four-to seventy-two-hour incubation cycle and mind-altering effects made the cure seem more like a job for exorcists than doctors. Wild mobs tore through the cities in a biting and clawing frenzy that shattered civic order.

Not even suspected at the time was that both events were long planned. Enemy technology allowed them to use the Earth itself as a weapon, and the disease, which we know today as Raving Madness, had also appeared on Earth in the first Enemy invasion. The pale, robed Harvesters began to walk the night.

The Harvesters strode into the maelstrom, alternately cowing and killing. They commanded legions of Trollogs, genetically altered creatures designed to break up opposition. As fearless in battle as army ants, but far more cunning, the Trollogs come in many shapes and sizes. The most common form is a large rhino-hided ape, with hands and brains capable of using weaponry from assault rifles to armoured personnel carriers.

The military and civil forces of the United States, already unable to deal with the plague and widespread destruction, succumbed as spare parts, ammunition, and especially morale ran out. A few Enemy agents and collaborators in the command structure helped orchestrate defeat on a grand scale. In the final extreme, a scorched-earth policy destroyed military bases and their equipment to keep them out of the hands of the Enemy. A few nuclear and chemical weapons were used in the last gasp of the war, but this added to the suffering rather than slowing the Enemy takeover. The end came with a bang and a whimper. The president shot himself when he learned his family had caught the Raving Madness virus at a riot in Quantico, and the vice president fled with a few leading members of congress to Mount Omega after she read the president's final executive order. In it, the despairing president declared, like the captain of a sinking ship, that the situation was "every man for himself."

The United States, and as far as we can tell the rest of the world, belonged to the Enemy within a year.

Fast forward 40-50 years….

[Shamelessly adapted slightly for personal use. :twisted: ]
Last edited by Genhuman on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I mother was a test tube; my father was a knife.

More human than human.

Genhuman

Re: A new playground

Postby Genhuman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:06 pm

THE NEW DISORDER

It is a new feudalism; a Twenty-First Century Dark Age; vicious patchwork anarchy.

There are almost as many different forms of Enemy rule as there are Enemies. Some rule as god-kings, more as warlords, and others with almost corporate bureaucracy.

There are a few truths to the Enemy order. First, humans are their servants and livestock. A farmer depends on his horse to pull the plow, the dog to flush game and bark in warning, and the pig for bacon. The lifespan of a cow whose milk production drops or the chicken who no longer lays eggs is a short one. Wherever the Enemy rules, they demand production and obedience. They possess terrible weapons to punish disorder and rebellion.

Why then do they not control every square meter of ground? It is because the Enemies exhibit all the focus and some of the weaknesses of heroin addicts. Their lives are very simple: obtain the next infusion of fresh life-force. Nothing else really interests them for long. Millennia ago they ceased developing the sciences, though at one time they were the greatest minds of their race, and they apparently lack appetites for food, drink, or sex (although they still reproduce). Some appear to enjoy wielding their power in cruel and capricious manners.

They place buffer areas around the few Freeholds using Collaborators, Trollogs or less powerful Enemy to cover the borders of their little realms. They appear to be as quarrelling, double-dealing, and scheming as the great Medici and Borgia families of the middle ages, although perhaps prohibition era gang-lords warring for turf are a better comparison. Most Enemy, when they do work together to rule an area usually belong to the same family. Betrayals between blood-kin appear to be very rare. Some theorize that relations are able to make use of each other’s Harvesters if necessary so perhaps black sheep of the families do not last long.

In the fifty years since the Overthrow, technology worldwide seems to have dropped to a late nineteenth century level. A few samples of higher technology are nursed along as long as spare parts and skill allow; but mention of an "Internet" usually involves a discussion of fishing, and the sight of an airplane in flight is a reason to stop and stare. Railroads are the chief means of transporting goods cross country, or coal and oil-burning ships at sea. The Freeholds use shortwave radio to keep in contact, with couriers for confidential information. While the Enemy seem to have the phones working in most places in their fiefdoms, it is not unusual to see a horseman galloping with a message across the broken-down road system.

Most of humanity is oppressed and miserable, and wherever those conditions existed throughout history, there have been people willing to die to change things. So perhaps there is hope that humankind will emerge from this dark tunnel after all....

More human than human.

NMI

Postby NMI » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:00 pm

interesting read so far

Genhuman

Postby Genhuman » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:11 pm

So, now I just need to sit down and figure out what to offer everyone for PC creation. Finalize how the 'abilities/powers' will work, and then finish the campaign, with options for starting in a free zone or living under Enemy rule.

More human than human.

NMI

Postby NMI » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:18 pm

Survivor OCC from Dead Reign with the Lycanthropy power from HU/PU.....

NMI

Postby NMI » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:18 pm

Survivor OCC from Dead Reign with the Lycanthropy power from HU/PU.....

Sasqaricious

Postby Sasqaricious » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:54 pm

I would say use Nightspawn for powers, make it limited though. They even have similar tables to survivor OCC in there if I recall in the newest book.

Genhuman

Postby Genhuman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:03 pm

Here is what I am thinking. PCs will start off as basic humans, from either about a 1900, or 1950s tech level, depending upon where they originate from. They won't start with any powers at all. Depending on who they align themselves with, and what they accomplish, they will gain powers. Most of the powers will probably be animal type powers from ATB. Things like Cat Leaping, or Animal Enhanced hearing. Of course, they more they do and accomplish for their side, the more powers they will be awarded later on, or upgrades to existing powers (perhaps to full super power status), etc.

I know it means it will be lowered powered than some would like, it also means there is no top end to how far and how many powers you may get.

More human than human.

NMI

Postby NMI » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 pm

I am still interested. Ironically, I do not neccessarily get a lot of free time while working here [temporarily] at the Palladium offices, so me starting up something is still some time off.

If you want a forum for your idea above, just let me know.

Genhuman

Postby Genhuman » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:26 pm

I will probably, eventually, want something, but this whole project is on indefinate hold. My mind is pretty damn distracted right now, and I also don't have much free time, with my wife still being in the hospital.

More human than human.

Return to “Game Discussion & Recruitment”